Friday, Jun 02, 2023 | New Delhi 31*C

Admission in PhD made easy, no more entrance exam, know what is the new rule of UGC

The University Grants Commission has issued a new rule regarding PhD admission. This will be implemented from the academic session 2024-25. The UCG has also issued a notification in this regard. Let us know what is the new rule of UGC regarding PhD admission.

There is good news for candidates pursuing Ph.D. Now candidates can also take admission in PhD through UGC NET score. The University Grants Commission has announced that National Eligibility Test (NET) scores will be admissible for PhD admissions from the academic session 2024-25.

Many universities conduct various PhD entrance exams. In such a situation, PhD candidates have to take several entrance exams. After the new rule, candidates will be able to directly take admission in Ph.D through NET score. This decision has been taken by the UGC under the National Education Policy 2020.

UGC published official notification

According to the official notification issued by the UGC, this decision was taken following the recommendations of the expert committee in the 578th meeting of the UGC held on March 13. NET is conducted in June and December to award Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and to select Assistant Professors for Master's degree holders.

Scores will be valid for three categories

With the new notification UGC NET qualified candidates will now be eligible for three categories. PhD admission with JRF and Assistant Professor posts, PhD admission without JRF and Assistant Professor posts and PhD admission only. However candidates should note that for preparation of merit list for PhD admission, 70 percent weightage will be given to UGC NET score and remaining 30 percent will be given for interview.

When is UGC NET Notification coming?

UGC Chairman M. Jagdish Kumar said that the National Testing Agency (NTA) is planning to start this process from next week. From academic session 2024-2025 all universities and higher education institutions can use UGC NET score to participate in competitive entrance examinations for PhD programmes. He said that NTA may soon start the application process for UGC NET June 2024 session. UGC NET June 2024 Notification will be released soon at

Download App from

Cryptocurrency News

Bitcoin Price
₹ 23,15,263 -2.89%
Bitcoin Price
₹ 23,15,263 +2.89%
Bitcoin Price
₹ 23,15,263 +2.89%